Saturday, May 16, 2009

Scriptural Insights: Optimism

Guest blogger: Miranda Searle
Because the times are tough for many with the economy and high prices, a scripture story that I have read many times, really stood out to me.

I was reading the Book of Mormon in first Nephi chapter three, where Nephi and his brothers have just been told by their father, Lehi, to "go unto the house of Laban, and seek the records, and bring them down hither into the wilderness."

In vs. 5-7, Lehi says "thy brothers murmur, saying, it is a hard thing which I have required of them; but behold I have not required it of them, but it is a commandment of the Lord." Then he commends Nephi, "thou shalt be favored of the Lord, because thou hast not murmured."

Now Nephi shows his amazing example of faithfulness. He says, “I will go and do the things which the Lord hath commanded.” In contrast, in the following verses, the brothers continue to murmur.

I have heard this story many times, but this lesson really stood out to me: In these times when life is difficult and it seems like we are surrounded with things to murmur about we should strive to be more like Nephi.

I have always strived to be a positive person and find the best in all situations. I do not consider myself a complainer or a pessimistic person, but as I read this story I had a new desire to always be like Nephi and not murmur, for I want to be "favored of the Lord.”

Let's all be like Nephi and not murmur about our trials, but go forward with faith.

The scriptures are true and we are so blessed to know that. I testify of the truthfulness of the Book of Mormon and I hold them close to my heart.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks Miranda! That is a lesson I used when I coached and have long since forgotten about it. I appreciate the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love these guest blogging spots! Murmuring is one of those things that I like to think I don't have a problem with, until I pay attention and realize that I do it all the time...especially in my head! It's good to try to remember that our perspective changes our moods. Thanks Miranda for your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete

Share your thoughts, but please be respectful.