Wednesday, December 30, 2009

File Away for Next Christmas


Good Morning Ladies,

Years ago I decided to purchase 1 Christmas book each year for our family.  We have a basket that sits by our fireplace filled with our favorites.  I love to read to my children and I wanted to have a good collection.  I have mostly picked up books at target or the like. I realized, however, that I would like to tap into your wisdom a bit and ask you to send me your families' favorite titles.  It is a bit of an investment and I want to have a good list of Christmas books to work off of for the future.  I will compile the lists that each of you send to me and send them back to the group as a single email so we can all benefit from each other's ideas.  Hope to hear about your family favorites.

Here are ours!
I recently ordered the following from Amazon and half.com.

1.  The Christmas Miracle of Jonathon Toomey by Susan Wojciechowski
(very excited to read this one!)

2.  A Wish to be a Christmas Tree by Colleen Monroe
(the reviews were just too tempting)

3.  Snowmen at Christmas by Caralyn Buehner

4.  Mr. Willoby's Christmas Tree by Robert Barry
(This got fantastic reviews and I can't wait to read it.)

5.  Merry Christmas, Stinky Face by Lisa McCourt
(We love the other stinky face books, so I thought I would give it a try)

I figure this will keep us busy this year, but I am filing your list in my Christmas binder.

Here are ones we have that I love.

1.  Olivia Helps with Christmas by Ian Falconer
(We LOVE the Olivia series!  They are really not gender specific, I think your boys would love them)

2.  Christmas in the Barn by Margaret Wise Brown
(I love Margaret Wise Brown, this is definitely for the younger set, but I enjoy the way the poetry flows)

3.  The Night Before Christmas by Clement C. Moore
(My favorite version is the one illustrated by Mary Englebreit)

4.  Room for a Little One, A Christmas Tale by Martin Waddell

5.  The Polar Express by Chris van Allsburg

6.  The Nutcracker (the usborne version)
(This is good for small kiddos, I am still looking for a spectacular version)

7.  Bear Stays Up For Christmas  by Karma Wilson
(I just love all of these Bear Series, the rhyming and vocabulary are wonderful, so witty)

8.  How the Grinch Stole Christmas! by Dr. Seuss
(a must)

9.  What is Christmas?  by Michelle Medlock Adams
(just a little board book, but sweet nonetheless)

10.  Fancy Nancy's Splendiforous Christmas
(Love Fancy Nancy!)

Aubrey Behunin
aubrey[at]behuninassociates[dot]com

Feel free to post your suggestions here as well.

Another list from Mormon Times.

Photo Credit: pipnstuff

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts, but please be respectful.