Saturday, December 5, 2009

Women who...

It's always interesting to take a break from routine life and visit with family and friends.

Over the last two weeks I had the opportunity to fly to Utah to celebrate my parents' 60th Wedding Anniversary, help my son through a minor surgery, and cook Thanksgiving dinner for extended family.

One word keeps coming to mind when I think back and remember those days and conversations... conversations and laughter at the dinner table, questions of concern in the car, deep and serious words late at night in the dim light.

Resilience.

The men and women, but especially the women in my life, personify that concept. And I see a little of myself in all of them.

Women who travel with young children, patiently, because "it's worth it".



Women who change school and career plans because they find "the right one".



A woman who is "an old woman now, you know" who loving cares for an ailing spouse.



Women who open their homes to others (at the last minute sometimes) even when they are overloaded themselves and say "I'm happy to have you here".



Pioneer women who had to put up with this...



And this...



And this...

(rocks everywhere)

Women and men who drop everything to come and celebrate.


(It's been 10 years since we've all been together!)

Women who use creativity (and the latest technology) to keep in touch.



Women who make mistakes and have the courage to laugh at themselves.


(and, thanks to the men who help fix things sometimes)

Women who laugh despite it all.



The Lord wants women who are resilient enough to follow Him and His plan for them.



Women who are flexible and adaptable.

We are they.

And, we are stronger, and more resilient, than we think we are. Thank you all for your continuing examples.

Ellen

1 comment:

  1. Ummmm, Ellen? I thought that picture was taken for a TOTALLY different purpose than to end up on the RS blog (but I am glad you didn't use the squished up version that we made with it on your phone)! :)

    Women really are amazing aren't they? Especially ones who will help out OTHER mothers take care of their children on a flight even when they could be napping or reading a book! You are amazing too!

    It sounds like you had a wonderful trip and I loved seeing the pictures! And I really do agree about women. It's amazing how much the women around me inspire me all the time!

    ReplyDelete

Share your thoughts, but please be respectful.