Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Tender Mercies

The March Theme for the blog is Feeling Lucky.

For me that translates into feeling blessed.

 

That thought is inspired by Elder Bednar’s recent conference talk, The Tender Mercies of the Lord.

One way God blesses each of us is through tender mercies, those blessings of strength, protection, assurance, guidance, loving-kindness, consolation, support or a spiritual gift that come to us and are often very personal.

They are available to ALL of us.

“The Lord's tender mercies do not occur randomly or merely by coincidence...they are powerful, sweet and simple. They do much to fortify and protect us.”


A few of you shared a recent tender mercy in your life:

Devon: After watching that video and reviewing the talk, it seems I’m seeing tender mercies everywhere! But I love how Elder Bednar actually refers to General Conference as a “tender mercy” because that’s exactly what it is in my life.  I am so excited that we get to listen to the general authorities in just a few weeks!

Sarah: I took my boys to the doctor on Thursday to be told that they both had viruses but nothing else. On Friday I was still concerned about James but was hesitant to call again (what if there was nothing wrong, didn’t want to look like a paranoid mother, etc. etc.) I felt like I should make another appointment so I did. When I took him in it turned out that he was wheezing and not getting enough oxygen. They gave him a couple of breathing treatments and a liquid steroid.  I am so grateful for the tender mercy of guidance in caring for my child that day. More on Sarah's blog.

Emily: Amidst lots of craziness around these parts of late, my son has really stepped up to the plate. He’s started surprising me with his empathy, thoughtfulness, and capacity for self-containment. He's still thoroughly a preschooler and a boy, and that’s just as it should be, but I’m getting glimpses at the person he can become, and it makes me swell up inside with pride. (good pride) He’s taken to coloring with fervor, tucking his stuffed animals in at night, and taking a keen interest in keeping his brother pacified. He’s been making me feel like my job is do-able, and that there are short-term rewards for me while I’m in the trenches. They’re just moments, but they’re wonderful! Don't miss Em's pics.

Ellen: Persistence and fortitude are tender mercies God gives me. Each morning prayer is filled with my desire for His help through my work day. And every day he strengthens me, gives me thoughts, helps my words, and clarifies my perceptions. When the pressures mount I can handle them. And at the end of the day I can always see where He stepped in. I acknowledge His hand in all things. His tender mercies enable me to press forward with cheerfulness often.

Please share one of your recent tender mercies with us, in the comments.

e

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts, but please be respectful.