Saturday, May 22, 2010

The Gift of Spiritual Discernment


Guest Blogger: Devon Linn

I was just re-reading a talk given by Elder Nelson from last October's General Conference entitled, "Ask, Seek, Knock," and I had forgotten how much I enjoyed it!   The talk was on personal revelation, and a lot of the talks from Conference at that time made really think and reflect on how essential the Spirit is in my life.  In this particular address, Elder Nelson told a story about a man's complete conversion to the church, which was followed by one of my favorite quotes from that conference:

"After such a conversion takes place, even further spiritual refinement can come. Personal revelation can be honed to become spiritual discernment. To discern means to sift, to separate, or to distinguish. The gift of spiritual discernment is a supernal gift. It allows members of the Church to see things not visible and to feel things not tangible."

He then goes on to explain how we can use this gift of discernment in our lives when he says, "With that gift, sisters may view trends in the world and detect those that, however popular, are shallow or even dangerous. Members can discern between schemes that are flashy and fleeting and those refinements that are uplifting and enduring."

I think Elder Nelson's description here of how personal revelation can be so clear as to become spiritual discernment is absolutely beautiful!  To be able to sift through the deceits of the world and instead see with focus and clarity the truths behind Satan's lies, especially his lies to us as women, is something I want to have continually!   I just pray I can be worthy of honing personal revelation into the gift of spiritual discernment in my life, because I know it will make all the difference in whether or not I succeed in my purpose here on the earth.

Photo credit

1 comment:

  1. Love this photo!

    The gift of discernment is a spiritual gift we really need in these last days. I was thinking about that today in Sacrament meeting. Loved Kelsey's comment about asking herself if "something was good for me as opposed to something not bad" when it comes to entertainment choices. That's discernment for you.

    And because it is a gift, we can pray earnestly for it's bestowal just as we do other spiritual gifts. It is frequently a part of my requests in prayer. Ellen

    ReplyDelete

Share your thoughts, but please be respectful.