Thursday, April 7, 2011

Conference Favorites



You probably aren't supposed to have a favorite address from General Conference, yet I usually do find myself thinking that there is one talk that was specifically meant for me.  Well, last weekend's Conference was so good that I really felt like ALL the talks were meant for me to hear.  It was just an overall great conference (as they always actually are)!  It's always such an inspiring time and I feel more hope and faith after hearing from our general church leaders.  The Spirit is always felt so strongly and I seem to always need it so much.

Even with having multiple favorite talks from last week, there was one that returned to my mind more often than others --Elder Bednar's talk "The Spirit of Revelation." In discussing our experiences with revelation, he used the example of light as he compared turning on a light switch in a dark room to the slow and gradual light shifting when a sun rises over the horizon:

"A light turned on in a dark room is like receiving a message from God quickly, completely, and all at once. Many of us have experienced this pattern of revelation as we have been given answers to sincere prayers or been provided with needed direction or protection, according to God’s will and timing. Descriptions of such immediate and intense manifestations are found in the scriptures, recounted in Church history, and evidenced in our own lives. Indeed, these mighty miracles do occur. However, this pattern of revelation tends to be more rare than common.

"The gradual increase of light radiating from the rising sun is like receiving a message from God “line upon line, precept upon precept” (2 Nephi 28:30). Most frequently, revelation comes in small increments over time and is granted according to our desire, worthiness, and preparation. Such communications from Heavenly Father gradually and gently “distil upon [our souls] as the dews from heaven” (D&C 121:45). This pattern of revelation tends to be more common than rare and is evident in the experiences of Nephi as he tried several different approaches before successfully obtaining the plates of brass from Laban (see 1 Nephi 3–4)."

Isn't that a beautiful parallel --plus it is absolutely true.  I can see experiences of both types of revelation in my life, but many many more instances of faith coming slowly over time as I study and pray diligently to learn.  I know that our ability to receive revelation is one of the most essential things we can strive for in our lives, and I am constantly working to make scripture study and prayer the center of my day so that I will be worthy of it.

If anyone else had a favorite conference talk, e-mail which one to Ellen or I (Devon) along with why-- we'd love to share it with all of our Relief Society Sisters.  Hope you all had a chance to grow spiritually from Conference!

Devon

Image Credit

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts, but please be respectful.