Wherefore I, Jacob, gave unto them these words as I taught them in the temple, having first obtained mine errand from the Lord.We receive our errand from the Lord and then we magnify our office. It's a serious responsibility. Here is the order of our priorities regarding our time and our efforts to serve:
For I, Jacob, and my brother Joseph had been consecrated priests and teachers of this people, by the hand of Nephi.
And we did magnify our office unto the Lord, taking upon us the responsibility, answering the sins of the people upon our own heads if we did not teach them the word of God with all diligence; wherefore, by laboring with our might their blood might not come upon our garments; otherwise their blood would come upon our garments, and we would not be found spotless at the last day.
1. The Lord - We need his Spirit to guide us with all the other aspects of our life. In Matthew 10:37-38 it says, "He that loveth mother, father, son or daughter more than the Lord is not worthy of the Lord." Sometimes this is hard. There is conflict. Putting the Lord first helps us resolve it or know how juggle our priorities.
2. Our spouse - Strong marriages help you meet the needs of your family. You are the presidency. Putting your spouse first is putting your kids first.
3. Family - It is our responsibility to teach them baptism and repentance first.
4. Employer - To take care of your family. Give an honest day's work for an honest day's pay. Be careful about how much time we do church work while at work.
5. Calling - Think of this as your personal ministry. Fasting, praying, and scripture study helps us prepare. Home teaching and visiting teaching are of utmost importance. Work smart, be creative, put in prayerful thought with our callings.
6. Community - When the time is right you can influence for good.
'Me' is not on the list. Or, really, 'me' benefits from every one of these.