Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Stomach Flu at Your House?


Hi, ladies!

Since stomach flu is going around, I thought I would share some tips that a pediatrician gave me many moons ago.  They work like a charm and, generally, there are no “repeat instances”, if you catch my drift.

Once a child vomits:
  • Stop ALL intake.  Give nothing by mouth for 2-3 hours.
  • After 2-3 hours, begin clear liquids, 1 oz. of liquid every 15 minutes, for 4 doses, then increase to 2 oz. every 15 minutes for 4 more doses.
  • Then, continue clear liquids as tolerated.
  • No sooner than 6 hours after vomiting has ceased, and if there is no diarrhea, you may begin soda crackers or BRAT (bananas, rice, applesauce,toast)
  • If diarrhea is acute, give only clear liquids for 24 hours.
When mine were little, I followed this, religiously, and usually only had one “episode”.

Good luck!
XX OO Margie

[I second this advice. I used this for my kids especially the BRAT diet and it works. e]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts, but please be respectful.