Since stomach flu is going around, I thought I would share some tips that a pediatrician gave me many moons ago. They work like a charm and, generally, there are no “repeat instances”, if you catch my drift.
Once a child vomits:
- Stop ALL intake. Give nothing by mouth for 2-3 hours.
- After 2-3 hours, begin clear liquids, 1 oz. of liquid every 15 minutes, for 4 doses, then increase to 2 oz. every 15 minutes for 4 more doses.
- Then, continue clear liquids as tolerated.
- No sooner than 6 hours after vomiting has ceased, and if there is no diarrhea, you may begin soda crackers or BRAT (bananas, rice, applesauce,toast)
- If diarrhea is acute, give only clear liquids for 24 hours.
XX OO Margie
[I second this advice. I used this for my kids especially the BRAT diet and it works. e]