Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Guest Blogger: Accepting an Invitation

The theme for August is Missionary work. I've asked several of you to write a little about your experiences or feelings.

Guest Blogger: Reylyn Checketts

I wish I had some wonderful story to tell about how I have helped someone enter the waters of baptism. I don't :(

I'm basically pretty shy and I don't "open my mouth." I've always justified that by saying to myself that I would just try to set a good example and that would be how I would share the gospel.

Well, after we had been in the Valley Forge 1st Ward for just a short time, the sister missionaries called to see if Alan and I would be available to visit Sister Shirley Jones with them.

We were able to and that was actually the first opportunity I have had to do that.

We were in Sister Jones home for about an hour and as I sat there I felt so grateful to the Missionaries for giving us the opportunity to meet and visit with Shirley.

I can tell you I learned much more from Sister Jones than she could or would ever learn from me. She is such a Christian person and she KNOWS her scriptures. She is so full of the spirit and she radiates love.

By the time we left that evening I felt like I had known her all my life. I'm just amazed at how she just seems to absorb gospel principles like she does.

I've been a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints all my life, but I honestly think Sister Jones understands the gospel better than I do.

So those are my feelings about missionary work.

Turns out missionary work has benefited me more than I have benefited the missionary effort.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts, but please be respectful.